Thursday, December 08, 2005

No, no, no

Found this atrocity through Neil Gaiman's blog.
Disney will replace Christopher Robin with a 6-year-old girl.
Can someone please get the franchise away from those idiots before any more damage is done?
I assume it was obvious, after Disney constantly demolished the actual character of Pooh.
They are the ones who replaced this image of Pooh

with this one
and did the same to all the other characters, changing them from the "dolls come to life" look to a cartoony, cheerful look, just compare Shepherd's Eyore to Disney's. Disney also replaced Pooh's growly, deep-humming voice with a high-pitched kiddy voice. This wasn't made by error. Disney just couldn't face the idea of presenting Pooh with an adult look and voice. Kids might think he's retarded. Well, he is. Pooh is a grown-up animal/doll locked inside a child's mind. Call it autistic if you wish. But that's it. It doesn't end with Pooh, naturally, as they systematically twisted every character to apply to their "view" of what kids like. Neutralising (and neutering) the origin of every "offensive" concept. And now they decided to remove Christopher Robin. Why?
"We got raised eyebrows even in-house at first, but the feeling was these timeless characters really needed a breath of fresh air that only the introduction of someone new could provide" says Nancy Kanter of the Disney Channel. BullCrap, says I. Disney just can't figure out how to market a 6 year old boy who plays with dolls. I mean, kids might think he's gay or something. A girl, well, that's more like it. Guess what? I played with dolls when I was six. I wasn't ashamed of admitting it to my school-friends and was very proud of it. It was a way for me to express my imagination, and allowed me to realise dreams I had. It hadn't made me retarded, or turned me gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Disney are killing the books and the world of A.A. Milne. They are raking one billion dollars a year from marketing a neutered image of Milne's works, and they will not stop here. Removing Christopher Robin is removing the axis around this entire imaginary world exists. Removing the cause for its existence. They won't stop there, I know it. I just wish there was any way to stop them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker